Saturday, July 11, 2009

RIP Arturo Gatti

Boxing's ultimate blood & guts warrior, Arturo Gatti was found dead in Brazil at a hotel room he and his wife were staying at, reportedly bloodied when his body was discovered. Early reports are that it was a homicide.

What a shame; first Arguello, now Arturo Gatti.

I was shocked when I first read reports that Arturo Gatti was found dead. I'm still shocked now. Gatti was 37 years young. Much too young to die. Boxing lost a legend.

Much like the drama he surrounded himself with inside the boxing ring, outside the ring was no different. Arturo Gatti was known for drinking a lot and living in the fast lane of life.

I grew up watching Gatti. He was one of the fighters who got me interested in boxing way back in 1996, when I saw him on HBO. He leaves behind his family & friends, and many adoring fans who are wishing his soul rest.





No comments: