Saturday, June 27, 2009

Mayweather vs. Marquez Is Back On For September 19



Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs Juan Manuel Marquez is officially back on. The bout is rescheduled for September 19.


After being cleared to fight by his doctor, Mayweather said, "I am relieved to be cleared to fight as I was already looking forward to getting back into the ring.

"Trust me, 19 September is a great weekend for boxing, and all of my fans, of which there are many Mexicans too, can certainly hold on to their hats and sombreros when I get back into the ring and show them what they have been missing these past 18 months. I will destroy Marquez and reclaim my rightful place as boxing's pound-for-pound king all in one night."

I'm glad the fight is back on, although I must disagree with Mayweather on one point; if Floyd is to reclaim boxing's number one pound-for-pound spot, he must first beat Manny Pacquiao. Defeating Juan Manuel Marquez, on his first trip to the ring in over a year would be impressive for Mayweather - no doubt about it. But it wont put him above Manny Pacquiao.

Marquez had this to say about the rescheduled bout with Mayweather: "I am happy that Mayweather has been cleared to fight and we can get down to business. This weekend is not just an important weekend for boxing, but even more so for all of the Mexican and Mexican-American people I will be fighting for."

Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Juan Manuel Marquez - September 19 - let the hype resume!

No comments: